Search This Blog

Monday, February 5, 2018

The death of one comic's character





Dear friends of mine!

My apologies for my absence... I had no Internet connection.

I want to tell you about a new comer to the US who is not familiar with the American history...

When we first came to Missouri 7.5 years ago, we found this road sign almost everywhere...

Image result for lewis and clark road sign

I had no idea what it meant! The only Lewis (Lois) & Clark I heard of were Superman's heroes...
I was confused about those signs until we visited St Louis Gateway Arch.
There, in the museum, I found out about the fascinating and heroic chapter of the American history, The Louis and Clark Expedition to the Pacific Northwest (1804-1806), was the first American expedition to cross the western portion of the US.
Since that day I noticed every Louis and Clark road sign to find out what they did at one location, or another. In Jefferson city MO for example, there is a nice memorial site to the Expedition.

Years passed and few days ago, while driving along the Natchez Trace Parkway TN, we arrived to Meriwether Lewis Site, the same Lewis, co-leader of that historic expedition.

Meriwether Lewis was 35 when he died of gunshot wounds at an inn at this site, in 1809. Conspiracy theories were circulating around his death from suicide to murder.
His grave site is marked with broken stone column, symbolic of a life cut short by tragedy.



Symbolic site of a death of a superhero!

1 comment: